Sunday, January 12, 2014

51 Ancestors in 51 Weeks?

I wanted to do the 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks challenge, but I didn't find out until the week one entries were already posted, so I offer 51 ancestors instead...

Since I am already a week behind, I will have to chose an easy one for this week, right?  Is it cheating to use someone from my husband's family?  I offer, Robert Henry Bledsoe, to you.

By the time I met "Mr. B" as he was known, he was already 90 years old and was having a lot of trouble remembering things.  What I know of his life comes from his descendants.  He was born in 1901 in Louisiana and worked as a depot agent for the Rock Island Railroad.  He married Alma Lois Avinger around 1921 and they had three daughters together.  I also know that at some point in the 1950s, he moved to Shreveport Louisiana and started a Nash dealership:

That's Mr. B on the left.  The gentleman on the right was a local radio personality at the time.  All that's left of the dealership is a clock that hung in it, a promotional item from Quaker State Motor Oil, which still runs great and hangs in our kitchen. Mr. B retired to Breckenridge, Texas with Alma and stayed there until he died in 1995.  They are both buried in Breckenridge Cemetery.

No comments:

Post a Comment